Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My 3 1/2 year old self.

I was scrolling through Facebook recently and I came across a nice picture of my friend's 4 children who had an impromptu sleepover with their grandparents. All of the kids had on a tee shirt from grandpa for nightgowns for the sleepover. It was an  innocent and cute picture but I've been a mess since seeing it. Let me explain.

First a bit of a back story. My paternal grandfather died before I was born. My grandmother married a nice man just before I was born. My grand parents adored me. I stayed with them most weekends. They slept in separate beds. When I would fall asleep on the couch I would wind up in either grandma or grandpa's bed. So waking up and not realizing at first which bed I was in was a normal occurrence for me. Both my grand parents were kind and loving and never did anything inappropriate to me. EVER.

One night I woke up in bed. Someone was pushing me under the covers. They had a white cotton tee shirt and men's briefs on. At first, to my horror, I thought it was my grandfather because he always wore a mans white tee to bed. I quickly realized it was my uncle. I had no ideal what he was doing. He slowly pushed me to his groin area and you can guess the rest. My grandmother let me sleep with my uncle and had no ideal what he would do to me. He was 14 at the time and I'm sure she didn't think any thing like that would happen between her own child and most favored grandchild.

I was scared but mostly confused. I don't remember the incident ending and I don't remember the next morning and I don't even know if it was the first time.


The following weekend I stayed with my grandparents again as usual. My mother had forgotten to pack my pjs. My grandmother decided to let me use my grandfathers white tee as a nightgown for me to sleep in.
When I saw the white tee I started sobbing hard and kept saying no no no.  My grandmother had no ideal why I was carry on so. She finally gave up and put in something of hers on me to sleep in and sent me to my grandfathers lap so he could calm me down. She went the next day and got me new pajamas.

For me, the white tee reminded me of that night with my uncle. I was crying out in the only way I knew how. I don't know why kids don't tell. I don't remember why I didn't. How could my grandmother of known?  I was too young to articulate what had happened.

I often think of my 3 1/2 year old self that night. I want to hold her close and keep her safe. My heart breaks for her. That began 7 years of abuse. I never cried from the abuse after that. I just became resigned to my horrible fate and never told anyone. I will never how that little 3 1/2 year old would of turned out without the abuse and I can never escape the memories.

The one thing I could do as an adult was to make sure my children never suffered the same fate and now they can look back at their childhood in a happy way. I thank God for that.

2 comments:

  1. No words can express how sorry I am that such a evil, cruel, unbelievable thing happened to you! What a strong woman you are for surviving and for knowing now that you are strong enough to protect yourself, even your childhood self!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog. I know that had to be hard to write. It happened to me too. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete